Procedure: How to connect a laptop and projector
1) Determine the type of video output the laptop and projector you are using has. Make sure they are compatible with each other. Common video output types are VGA, S-Video, and HDMI.
2) Make sure your computer and projector are both turned OFF.
3) Take the video cable cord and connect the laptop and projector. It doesn’t matter which end you connect to which device; connect one end to the Projector “Computer In” port and connect the other end to the Video port on the laptop.
The cord will look similar to this.
4) Plug the projector into an AC wall outlet. You might need to plug the electical cord into the projector first.
5) Turn on the laptop and projector and allow time for the two to fully load.
6) Activate the external video by pressing Fn and F4, F8 or F3 simultaneously. The key will either have CRT/LCD or a picture of a computer on it. An example of the key is below. The Fn key and the LCD keyboard key button pushed together once will take the laptop screen and project it to the projector screen, causing the laptop screen to become black. Pushing the keys together twice will allow the image to show on both the laptop and projector screen, I would recommend this option.